Get It Together Series
You and your Prayer Life
Romans 15:30 Now I beseech you, brethren, for the Lord Jesus Christ’s sake, and for the love
of the Spirit, that ye strive together with me in your prayers to God for me;
JOKE: A family was having guests to dinner. At the table, the mother turned to her six-year-old daughter and says, “Dear, would you like to say the blessing?”
“I wouldn’t know what to say,” replies the little girl.
“Just say what you hear Mommy say, sweetie.”
Her daughter takes a deep breath, bows her head, and solemnly says, “Dear Lord, why in the world did I invite all these people to dinner?”
Intro: The prayer life of the believer is one of the biggest battlegrounds they will ever face. They may make progress and take ground from the enemy, and in just a short time, the enemy can attack and you will lose the ground you once had.
QUOTE: “Is prayer your steering wheel or your spare tire?” – Corrie ten Boom
I. The Practice of a Prayer Life
QUOTE: “The great people of the earth today are the people who pray, (not) those who talk about prayer”. — S.D. Gordon
A. We should Pray Privately
The Bible is clear that we shouldn’t broadcast how much we pray.
- Matthew 6:5 And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward, But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.
Hypocrites love making their prayers known to man.
Bragging about how much you pray is both unbiblical and unrewarding.
Nobody needs to know how much you pray. Just pray.
B. We should Pray Fervently
Sometimes it is good to pray quietly or in your heart, but there are times when fervent prayer is needed.
- James 5:16 Confess your faults one to another, and pray one for another, that ye may be healed. The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much.
QUOTE: “True prayer is neither a mere mental exercise nor a vocal performance. It is far deeper than that – it is spiritual transaction with the Creator of Heaven and Earth.” – Charles Spurgeon
C. We should Pray Constantly
- 1 Thessalonians 5:17 Pray without ceasing.
- Psalms 55:17 Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice.
QUOTE: “Prayer makes a godly man, and puts within him the mind of Christ, the mind of humility, of self-surrender, of service, of pity, and of prayer. If we really pray, we will become more like God, or else we will quit praying.” – E.M. Bounds
- READ page 7 of J.C. Penny’s book Lines of a Layman
II. The Power of a Prayer Life
A. The Power of Definite Answers
JOKE: The temporary Sunday School teacher was struggling to open a combination lock on the supply cabinet. She had been told the combination, but couldn’t quite remember it. Finally she went to the pastor’s study and asked for help. The pastor came into the room and began to turn the dial. After the first two numbers he paused and stared blankly for a moment. Finally he looked serenely heavenward and his lips moved silently. Then he looked back at the lock, and quickly turned to the final number, and opened the lock. The teacher was amazed. “I’m in awe at your faith, pastor,” she said. “It’s really nothing,” he answered. “The number is on a piece of paper taped to the ceiling.”
- John 14:13 And whatsoever ye shall ask in my name, that will I do, that the Father may be glorified in the Son.
Prayer works. You should try it!
B. The Power of Dogmatic Assurance
- 1 John 5:15 And if we know that he hear us, whatsoever we ask, we know that we have the petitions that we desired of him.
- I Timothy 2:8 I will therefore that men pray every where, lifting up holy hands, without wrath and doubting.
QUOTE: “Men may spurn our appeals, reject our message, oppose our arguments, despise our persons, but they are helpless against our prayers”. — J. Sidlow Baxter
C. The Power of Divine Assistance
- Hebrews 4:16 Let us therefore come boldly unto the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy, and find grace to help in time of need.
- Mark 9:29 And he said unto them, This kind can come forth by nothing, but by prayer and fasting.
III. The Partnership of a Prayer Life
- Matthew 18:19 Again I say unto you, That if two of you shall agree on earth as touching any thing that they shall ask, it shall be done for them of my Father which is in heaven.
QUOTE: “Nothing tends more to cement the hearts of Christians than praying together. Never do they love one another so well as when they witness the outpouring of each other’s hearts in prayer”. — Charles Finney
- 2 Corinthians 1:11 Ye also helping together by prayer for us,
- Acts 12:12 And when he had considered the thing, he came to the house of Mary the mother of John, whose surname was Mark; where many were gathered together
Conclusion: We need to get it together with our prayer life! God’s word says – James 4:2 Ye lust, and have not: ye kill, and desire to have, and cannot obtain: ye fight and war, yet ye have not, because ye ask not.
POEM — Alfred Lord Tennyson
There is a place where thou canst touch the eyes
Of blinded men to instant, perfect sight;
There is a place where thou canst say, “Arise”
To dying captives, bound in chains of night;
There is a place where thou canst reach the store
Of hoarded gold and free it for the Lord;
There is a place — upon some distant shore —
Where thou canst send the worker and the Word.
Where is that secret place–dost thou ask, “Where?”
O soul, it is the secret place of prayer!