First Edition Christianity – Part II
Acts 11:23 “…that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord.”
I. An Expression of the Grace of God – vs. who, when he came, and had seen the grace of God…
It was the Grace of God because of…
- It was a result of the scattering caused by the persecution of Stephen. vs. 19
- They weren’t preaching to the Gentiles to start off with . vs. 19
- They weren’t preached to by the Apostles, but new converts preaching the Lord Jesus. Vs. 20
II. An Exhortation of the Man of God – was glad, and exhorted them all
- The story in verse 22 is exactly what happened in verse 1.
- They heard that Gentiles had believed – that they had received the word.
- They sent Barnabas to confirm the reports.
- When he arrived, he saw – and was glad.
- Then, he preached unto them their first discipleship message.
NOTE: God will always send a man to people that are searching for the truth. (Acts 13:43)
III. An Expectation of a Walk with God – that with purpose of heart they would cleave unto the Lord
- Notice the Scope of his Expectation – ALL – every convert needs to be a disciple!!
If you just got saved, or if you’ve been saved for 30 years – if you’ve never been disciple, you need to be!
Not a single convert should be allowed to live, or try to live for God without understand what is expected of them.
Notice the pastor’s commission:
- Ephesians 4:13 Till we all come in the unity of the faith, and of the knowledge of the Son of God, unto a perfect man, unto the measure of the stature of the fulness of Christ:
- Notice the Seriousness – that with purpose of heart
Following Christ is not something you do by accident.
Or with reservation.
It is only done with PURPOSE of heart.
ILLUSTRATION: We’ve got too many “test-drivers”. The only thing they’ve purposed in their heart to do is NOT to commit. They’ve purposed to “continue to explore their options”.
- They are “TEST-DRIVING” their church. If things don’t go their way, they’ll bail out and find another.
- They are “TEST-DRIVING” their companion. If they’re not happy, they’ll just get a divorce and start over.
- They are “TEST-DRIVING” their child-training. They’ll work hard to train them for a while…then we’ll see…
- They are “TEST-DRIVING” their convictions. That family looks so happy living that way. We’ll try that awhile…
- They are “TEST-DRIVING” their Compass. (if they don’t agree with the Bible, they’ll find something else to follow)
- Notice the Staying – they would cleave unto the Lord
- Joshua 22:5 But take diligent heed to do the commandment and the law, which Moses the servant of the LORD charged you, to love the LORD your God, and to walk in all his ways, and to keep his commandments, and to cleave unto him, and to serve him with all your heart and with all your soul.
- Joshua 23:8 But cleave unto the LORD your God, as ye have done unto this day.