Which Door Are You Standing In?
- The Distance to the Tabernacle – pitched it without the camp, afar off from the camp (because of sin)
- The Designation of the Tabernacle – vs. 7 and called it the Tabernacle SEE 25:8 (the sacred tent of Jehovah)
- The Distinction of the Tabernacle – vs. 7 every one that sought the LORD went out unto the tabernacle
Twice in these verses, the Bible tells us that all the people rose up, and stood every man at his tent door. – vs. 8, 10
- 8 And it came to pass, when Moses went out unto the tabernacle, that all the people rose up, and stood every man at his tent door, and looked after Moses, until he was gone into the tabernacle.
- 10 And all the people saw the cloudy pillar stand at the tabernacle door: and all the people rose up and worshipped, every man in his tent door.
But in verse 9, the Bible tells us that Moses stood at the door of the tabernacle.
Verse 11 says that Joshua departed not out of the tabernacle.
- 11 And the LORD spake unto Moses face to face, as a man speaketh unto his friend. And he turned again into the camp: but his servant Joshua, the son of Nun, a young man, departed not out of the tabernacle.
What I see is that all the people; all the men, got as close to God’s house as they could without leaving their house.
What was in their own tent that had a greater pull on them than that what was in God’s tent?
Their tent was the location of their:
- Financial stockpile – they didn’t have banks and public storage buildings/everything they had was in their tent…
- Family – they dwelled together as a family within the confines of the tent
- Fleshly fulfillment – their tent was where they met their physical needs/food/intimacy/entertainment
- Friends – they didn’t have nightclubs/movie theaters/ballfields/ etc. They hung out at each other’s tents.
But in the sacred tent of Jehovah, there was:
- Confirmation – the cloudy pillar represented the presence and glory of God
- Conversation – vs. 9 and the Lord talked with Moses…
- Communion – not just talking, but it was personal, intimate, relevant
Why was Joshua hanging around?
- It was Real – not much is real today, but rest assured; God is real. His power is real. His Word is real.
- It was Rare – it was available to EVERY ONE WHICH SOUGHT THE LORD (vs. 7) but not many want it
- It was Rewarding
- 15 And Moses spake unto the LORD, saying,
- 16 Let the LORD, the God of the spirits of all flesh, set a man over the congregation,
- 17 Which may go out before them, and which may go in before them, and which may lead them out, and which may bring them in; that the congregation of the LORD be not as sheep which have no shepherd.
- 18 And the LORD said unto Moses, Take thee Joshua the son of Nun, a man in whom is the spirit, and lay thine hand upon him;
- 19 And set him before Eleazar the priest, and before all the congregation; and give him a charge in their sight.
- 20 And thou shalt put some of thine honour upon him, that all the congregation of the children of Israel may be obedient.