What Heaven Means To Me
A. The Place is Real
- John 14:2 In my Father’s house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.
B. The Promise is Repeated
- Colossians 1:5 For the hope which is laid up for you in heaven, whereof ye heard before in the word of the truth of the gospel;
If the Bible only mentioned Heaven ONE TIME, we could still believe it exists.
But the promise of Heaven is mentioned throughout the Bible – front to back.
- Moses wrote about Heaven.
- Joshua spoke of Heaven.
- Elijah was taken up into Heaven.
- Nehemiah mourned and fasted before the God of Heaven.
- Job was tried after a conversation in Heaven
- David sang about Heaven.
- Solomon prayed about Heaven.
- Isaiah rebuked Lucifer who was fallen from Heaven.
- Jeremiah could not number the hosts of Heaven.
- Daniel saw visions of Heaven
- Jesus preached about the Kingdom of Heaven
- Paul was caught up into the third heaven
- John the Revelator was told to write down the description of Heaven
YES!! The PLACE IS REAL, AND THE PROMISE IS REPEATED throughout the Scripture!
C. The Prospect is Reassuring
I Thessalonians 4
- 17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
- 18 Wherefore comfort one another with these words.
I’m looking forward to Heaven for a number of reasons.
I want to give you just 5 points this morning of What Heaven Means To Me…
I. A Place of Rejoicing because Satan will be Punished
- 1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.
- 2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,
- 3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.
- 7 And when the thousand years are expired, Satan shall be loosed out of his prison,
- 10 And the devil that deceived them was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone, where the beast and the false prophet are, and shall be tormented day and night for ever and ever.
ILLUSTRATION: For 400 years, the children of Israel were held captive and under bondage by Pharaoh in Egypt. God sent a deliverer, and Moses led God’s people out of Egypt. Through a great miracle, God led them across the Red Sea and to the other side. They stood and watched as Pharaoh and his army followed. But halfway across the Red Sea, God let the waters return to their place, and God buried the people of God’s tormentor in the depths of the sea. The children of Israel were standing on the shores watching as their cruel taskmaster – the one that had made their lives miserable, and the lives of their children miserable was annihilated by the mighty hand of God. Exodus 15:1 records the first song service in the Bible.
- Exodus 15:1 Then sang Moses and the children of Israel this song unto the LORD, and spake, saying, I will sing unto the LORD, for he hath triumphed gloriously: the horse and his rider hath he thrown into the sea.
One of these glorious days, the people of God will again cross over that great divide. We will gather on the shores of Sweet Deliverance and watch as our God disposes of our former taskmaster; our tormentor, our enemy. God will send one of his angels to bind ole Slewfoot and cast him into the lake of fire where he can never tempt; never trouble; never accuse; never lie; never discourage; never assault; never deceive the children of God ever again!
II. A Place of Relief because Sin will be Prohibited
- Revelation 21:27 And there shall in no wise enter into it any thing that defileth, neither whatsoever worketh abomination, or maketh a lie: but they which are written in the Lamb’s book of life.
I love how John wrote that down on the Isle of Patmos – talking about Heaven.
…AND THERE SHALL IN NO WISE ENTER INTO IT ANY THING THAT DEFILETH, NEITHER WHATSOEVER WORKETH ABOMINATION, OR MAKETH A LIE… (I reckon there won’t be any CNN on the TV in Heaven!)
I’m excited about going to heaven because we will finally find relief from the temptation of sin!
III. A Place of Rest because Self will be Perfected
The truth is, I am getting tired of myself.
I get on my own nerves!
JOKE: An older couple were sitting on the front porch. The husband looked at his wife and said “I’m proud of you.” She looked at him and said, “I’m tired of you too!”
- 1 John 3:2 Beloved, now are we the sons of God, and it doth not yet appear what we shall be: but we know that, when he shall appear, we shall be like him; for we shall see him as he is.
After sitting under some of the best preaching and teaching this side of Heaven for 47 years, I still find myself struggling to be the Christian that I should be.
- I find myself struggling to be the example to my children.
- I still struggle to love my wife the way that Christ loves the church.
- I have a hard time dealing with my emotions, my thoughts, my innermost desires.
- I still say the wrong thing sometime, or say the right thing the wrong way.
- I forget the promises I’ve made the Lord.
- I stumble and I fall many times.
- I get aggravated. I get mad. I get frustrated. I get discouraged. I think about quitting.
- I can’t sleep some nights.
- I can’t blame it on my family.
- I can’t blame it on the church.
- I can’t blame it on PTSD – Pitiful Troublesome Saints Disorder
- It’s not anybody else’s fault.It’s all my fault! My flesh is my worse enemy.
You know what Heaven means to me? It is a A Place of Rest because FINALLY I will be Perfected
I won’t have to contend with my filthy, rotten flesh anymore!
- 20 For our conversation is in heaven; from whence also we look for the Saviour, the Lord Jesus Christ:
- 21 Who shall change our vile body, that it may be fashioned like unto his glorious body, according to the working whereby he is able even to subdue all things unto himself.
IV. A Place of Reunion because Separation will be Past
- 1 Thessalonians 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
- No more separation.
- No more Livestream worship services.
- No more social distancing!!
- No more bumping elbows.
- No more going weeks without seeing one another.
- No more having to order take out. We will be able to go in and sit down and eat Mexican food with one another inside the restaurant!!! Can I get a witness!!!
No more sea.
- Revelation 21:1 And I saw a new heaven and a new earth: for the first heaven and the first earth were passed away; and there was no more sea.
V. A Place of Reverence because the Savior will be Present
- John 14:3 And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again, and receive you unto myself; that where I am, there ye may be also.
The most wonderful thing about Heaven is my Savior will be there!
We will finally be able to see Him face to face!!
We will be finally be able to worship him in his presence, and see Him respond to our worship.
Our faith will end in sight!!
- 9 After this I beheld, and, lo, a great multitude, which no man could number, of all nations, and kindreds, and people, and tongues, stood before the throne, and before the Lamb, clothed with white robes, and palms in their hands;
- 10 And cried with a loud voice, saying, Salvation to our God which sitteth upon the throne, and unto the Lamb.
- 11 And all the angels stood round about the throne, and about the elders and the four beasts, and fell before the throne on their faces, and worshipped God,
- 12 Saying, Amen: Blessing, and glory, and wisdom, and thanksgiving, and honour, and power, and might, be unto our God for ever and ever. Amen.
John the Beloved looked ahead and saw the people of God – a great multitude of blood bought believers – all worshipping around the throne of God.
Did John see you? Will you be in Heaven, worshipping the Lamb of God with us?
Conclusion: Are you 100% sure if you died today that you would go to Heaven?