There’s Something Special About the Sanctuary
Exodus 15:17 Thou shalt bring them in, and plant them in the mountain of thine inheritance, in the place, O LORD, which thou hast made for thee to dwell in, in the Sanctuary, O Lord, which thy hands have established.
Intro: Sanctuary – sacred place, holy place
First Mention Principle tells us that the Sanctuary is sanctified because…
- It is a Specific Place – Out of 132 times we find that word, this is the only time it is capitalized.
- It is a Special Place – the place which thou has made
- It is a Sovereign Place – which thou hast made for thee
- It is a Stablished Place – which thy hands have established
- 2 Chronicles 30:8 Now be ye not stiffnecked, as your fathers were, but yield yourselves unto the LORD, and enter into his sanctuary, which he hath sanctified for ever: and serve the LORD your God, that the fierceness of his wrath may turn away from you.
- Psalms 78:69 And he built his sanctuary like high palaces, like the earth which he hath established for ever.
I. Its Demonstration – vs. 6
A. Of God’s Power
Notice the effect of God’s power on the rest of the world: READ vs. 3-15
B. Of God’s Preeminence
- 11 Who is like unto thee, O LORD, among the gods? who is like unto thee
- 18 The LORD shall reign for ever and ever
II. Its Designation
A. It is designated for the Presence of God – vs. 17 …in the place…which thou hast made for thee to dwell in.
NOTE: Second time we find the word SANCTUARY –
- Exodus 25:8 And let them make me a sanctuary; that I may dwell among them.
B. It is designated for the People of God
NOTE: The church was not established for the unbeliever.
This paradigm shift that has created this seeker sensitive movement has been a disaster.
- They are a Purchased people – vs. 13; 16
- They are a Protected people – 14:30;
- They are a Planted people – vs. 17 Thou shalt bring them in, and plant them…
- They are a Pure people – 14:21, 22, 29; 15:19; dry land
III. Its Declaration – the people shall hear…vs. 14
NOTE: This entire passage is a SONG: vs. 1, 2
They declared that God was their STRENGTH, THEIR SONG, AND THEIR SALVATION
They sang about:
A. His Greatness – vs. 7
- The Greatness of his Excellency – vs. 7
- The Greatness of his Arm – vs. 16
- Isaiah 53:1 Who hath believed our report? and to whom is the arm of the LORD revealed?
B. His Guidance – vs. 13
- 13 Thou in thy mercy hast led forth the people which thou hast redeemed: thou hast guided them in thy strength unto thy holy habitation.
C. His Glory – vs. 6, 11, 21
- 6 glorious in power – three times God’s right hand is mentioned: vs. 6 (2x) and vs. 12; vs. 17 thy hands…
- 11 glorious in holiness
- 21 glorious in triumph – see vs. 1 FOR HE HATH TRIUMPHED GLORIOUSLY
- 25 Husbands, love your wives, even as Christ also loved the church, and gave himself for it;
- 26 That he might sanctify and cleanse it with the washing of water by the word,
- 27 That he might present it to himself a glorious church, not having spot, or wrinkle, or any such thing; but that it should be holy and without blemish.
There’s Something Special about the Sanctuary!
Intro: David had an exceptional relationship with the house of God.
- Psalms 122:1 I was glad when they said unto me, Let us go into the house of the LORD.
I. A Place of Undergirding
- Psalms 20:2 Send thee help from the sanctuary, and strengthen thee out of Zion;
- I get help from the Environment
- I get help from the Enthusiasm
- I get help from the Encouragement
- I get help from the Exhortation
II. A Place of Unveiling
- Psalms 63:2 To see thy power and thy glory, so as I have seen thee in the sanctuary.
- Psalms 68:24 They have seen thy goings, O God; even the goings of my God, my King, in the sanctuary.
- I see a side of God in the Sanctuary that I don’t see anywhere else.
- I see the will of God in the Sanctuary that I don’t see anywhere else.
- I see the plan of God in the Sanctuary that I don’t see anywhere else.
III. A Place of the Unforgotten
- SEE verse 2, 18, 19, 22, 23
IV. A Place of Understanding
- Psalms 73:17 Until I went into the sanctuary of God; then understood I their end.
Things get put in perspective when I enter into the sanctuary.
I get clarity of the big picture.