Mountain Men Sermon Series Part 6
The Mountains of Personal Obedience
The Lord Jesus Christ – Matthew 4
I. A Place of Proving
- Matthew 4:8 Again, the devil taketh him up into an exceeding high mountain, and sheweth him all the kingdoms of the world, and the glory of them;
The devil taketh him, but never forget verse 1 – He was led up of the spirit into the wilderness TO BE TEMPTED OF THE DEVIL.
- Hebrews 4:15 For we have not an high priest which cannot be touched with the feeling of our infirmities; but was in all points tempted like as we are, yet without sin.
II. A Place of Preaching
- Matthew 5:1 And seeing the multitudes, he went up into a mountain: and when he was set, his disciples came unto him:
The Sermon on the Mount was no doubt one of the Lord’s most powerful messages.
Preached on a mountain to just 12 people.
III. A Place of Prayer
- Matthew 14:23 And when he had sent the multitudes away, he went up into a mountain apart to pray: and when the evening was come, he was there alone.
- Mark 6:46 And when he had sent them away, he departed into a mountain to pray.
- Luke 6:12 And it came to pass in those days, that he went out into a mountain to pray, and continued all night in prayer to God.
IV. A Place of Patience
- 29 And Jesus departed from thence, and came nigh unto the sea of Galilee; and went up into a mountain, and sat down there.
- 30 And great multitudes came unto him, having with them those that were lame, blind, dumb, maimed, and many others, and cast them down at Jesus’ feet; and he healed them:
- 31 Insomuch that the multitude wondered, when they saw the dumb to speak, the maimed to be whole, the lame to walk, and the blind to see: and they glorified the God of Israel.
- 32 Then Jesus called his disciples unto him, and said, I have compassion on the multitude, because they continue with me now three days, and have nothing to eat: and I will not send them away fasting, lest they faint in the way.
V. A Place of Passion – Mount Calvary (place called Golgotha)
- Luke 23:33 And when they were come to the place, which is called Calvary, there they crucified him, and the malefactors, one on the right hand, and the other on the left.
VI. A Place of Promise – Mount of Olives (Acts 1:12 – He promised to return) (Luke 24:49 – promised the Spirit)
- 16 Then the eleven disciples went away into Galilee, into a mountain where Jesus had appointed them.
- 17 And when they saw him, they worshipped him: but some doubted.
- 18 And Jesus came and spake unto them, saying, All power is given unto me in heaven and in earth.
- 19 Go ye therefore, and teach all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father, and of the Son, and of the Holy Ghost:
- 20 Teaching them to observe all things whatsoever I have commanded you: and, lo, I am with you alway, even unto the end of the world. Amen.