Have You Heard?
Job 42:5 I have heard of thee by the hearing of the ear: but now mine eye seeth thee.
Intro: Job is the story of a man who had an amazing:
- Reputation – God knew him, Satan knew him, and according to James 5:1, everybody does
- Restoration – 42:10-12 is nothing short of miraculous.
- Revelation – Job 42:5 – Job confessed that he saw God with his eyes
- Job 19:26 And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God:
- Matthew 5:8 Blessed are the pure in heart: for they shall see God.
I. The Source of the Message
Who told Job about God?
Was it his parents?
We do know it wasn’t from a gospel tract. There weren’t any.
We do know it wasn’t from reading a Bible. There wasn’t one.
We do know it wasn’t from watching a Christian TV program.
We do know it wasn’t from going to church.
We do know it wasn’t on the internet, or the library, or the radio.
All we know was – he heard about God through his ear-gate.
- Romans 10:17 So then faith cometh by hearing, and hearing by the word of God.
II. The Specifics of the Message
What exactly did Job hear about God?
This was around the time of Abraham, but we have no record that they knew one another.
This was before the 10 Commandments.
This was before the giving of the Pentateuch.
What exactly could Job have possibly known about God?
All he could have known about was:
- Creation – this told him that he was here for a purpose; not an accident
- Offerings and sacrifices
- The Flood and the seriousness of sin – Job 1:5
- The importance of exalting the name of the Lord. (Gen.11:4 – Job 1:21)
III. The Success of the Message
So, getting a grasp of Job’s limited knowledge of God, what did his hearing of God produce?
- It produced a perfect and upright man – 1:1
- One that feared God. – 1:1 Psalms 111:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom
- One that eschewed evil. – 1:1
- One that prayed for his family and offered sacrifices continually. – 1:5
- One that warranted God’s attention for his faithfulness and loyalty. 1:8
- One that worshipped God on the worst day of his life – 1:20
- One that stood up to his wife when he was at his weakest. – 2:10
And that is just in the first two chapters!
So, let me ask you a question… HAVE YOU HEARD OF GOD?
What have you heard?
And what has that knowledge produced in your life?
Are you as good a Christian as Job?
How do you and I as New Testament church Christians measure up?
- Considering we have the Indwelling of the Spirit of God??
- Considering we have the Inspiration of the Scripture of God??
- Considering we have the Insurance of the Sanctuary of God??
- Considering we have the Interaction with the Saints of God??
- Considering we have the Investment of the Servants of God??
Have you heard?? And what has that knowledge produced in your life?
- Luke 12:48 For unto whomsoever much is given, of him shall be much required: