A Foundation to Shout About!
Intro: After 70 years of captivity, God’s people has returned home. This has been called “the second Exodus.” The difference in this exodus and the first one was the first exodus included everyone; this one was only a remnant of God’s people.
A. Their Force – verse 1 gathered themselves together as one man to Jerusalem.
There is nothing more powerful that a group of God’s people “together as one”
B. Their Focus – vs. 2 – and builded the altar of the God of Israel, to offer burnt offerings…
First thing they did was build a place of supplication and sacrifice.
C. Their Fear – vs. 3 – for fear was upon them because of the people of those countries…
They were just a remnant surrounded by people that did not know or appreciate their God.
D. Their Faithfulness – vs. 3-6 …as the duty of every day required (vs. 4)
Notice the emphasis on their faithfulness and dedication.
- Vs. 3 They offered burnt offerings morning and evening.
- Vs. 4 They kept the feast AS IT IS WRITTEN.
- Vs. 4 As the duty of every day required…
- Vs. 5 And afterward offered the continual burnt offerings
E. Their Foundation – vs. 6 …the foundation of the temple of the Lord was not yet laid.
I. The Reaction to the Foundation
Their reaction to the foundation produced:
A. Singing – vs. 11 …and they sang together by course in praising and giving thanks
- Psalms 95:2 Let us come before his presence with thanksgiving, and make a joyful noise unto him with psalms.
- Psalms 100:2 Serve the LORD with gladness: come before his presence with singing.
B. Shouting – vs. 11 …And all the people shouted with a great shout… (Shout mentioned 6 times)
C. Sobbing – vs. 12 …ancient men, that had seen the first house…wept with a loud voice.
D. Strife – vs. 13 …and the noise was heard afar off…
NOTE: 4:1-5 they hired counsellors against them, to frustrate their purpose…
II. The Representation of the Foundation
The Foundation represented:
- Sentimental – the way things used to be – vs. 12
- Strength – something substantial; something long-term; something real
- Statement – that foundation wasn’t pretty, but what it represented was magnificent.
- Our Savior
Isaiah 28:16 Therefore thus saith the Lord GOD, Behold, I lay in Zion for a foundation a stone, a tried stone, a precious corner [stone], a sure foundation: he that believeth shall not make haste.
1 Corinthians 3:11 For other foundation can no man lay than that is laid, which is Jesus Christ.
III. The Requirement of the Foundation
- Psalms 11:3 If the foundations be destroyed, what can the righteous do?
- 2 Timothy 2:19 Nevertheless the foundation of God standeth sure, having this seal, The Lord knoweth them that are his. And, Let every one that nameth the name of Christ depart from iniquity.